ICCL has asked political candidates and parties to commit to 8 crucial but straightforward human rights asks if elected. These advances are immediate goals in the larger project to shape a society where everybody’s human rights and individual freedoms are respected. You can join us by asking your candidates to commit to rights!
ICCL’s 8 asks are:
- Establish Safe Access Zones at medical facilities so that women and pregnant people can access abortion care in privacy, safety and with dignity.
- Introduce Hate Crime legislation so that we all feel safer from hateful attacks.
- Protect our privacy and data by halting the illegal Public Services Card project.
- Establish a new Independent Office of the Police Ombudsman so that we can all have confidence in An Garda Síochána.
- Implement inspections of all places of detention in order to prevent torture behind closed doors.
- Establish an Ombudsman for Victims of Crime to ensure justice for victims of crime.
- Outlaw image-based sexual abuse to prevent non-consensual creation and/or sharing of intimate images.
- Reform the Electoral Act to allow civil society organisations to function without fear.
ICCL has been leading campaigns on all of the above issues for some years now. Each one can be brought forward within structures which already exist.
The following candidates have made individual commitments to ICCL’s 8 asks.
Party endorsements are here.
Don’t see your candidates here? Email them and ask them to commit to rights !